Sunday, November 1, 2009

Feeling A Bit Washed UP???




Ever have those days or maybe week's when you're feeling a bit washed up? A little tired? Worn out? Defeated?
I know we all have those days and While I was photographing this boat that washed ashore a few months ago I realized what the boat symbolizes for me. Sometimes we just need to dig our proverbial "feet" into the sand to feel a little more grounded. Need to stop being adrift and get on solid ground.
My family has been "adrift" for 10 months now and I'm so ready to put down roots and settle in.
I'm ready for my own house again, my own kitchen, my own bedroom, my own yard. I know the rest of my family feels the same way. Don't get me wrong... living with my parents has been an amazing and fun experience. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. It has been wonderful, But I;m ready to move on and settle down.
I know my parents understand when I say this, They don't take it personally. They know we are not here forever. They will go through a tough time when we leave. It will be SO quiet without all the chatter and "dog" antics. I feel bad for them but I know they want us to be happy and settle in somewhere.
They will have to do some minor repairs after we leave... Whats that?? You ask what kind of repairs? Well I could write out the list but lets just put it this way..

When my parents are old and in need of a place to live it will no longer be my little sister Shelley that will be housing them...It will be Ted and me. Yes we owe them so much that I just keep telling my Dad to put it on our tab. I guess it will be me changing their diapers and spoon feeding them their baby food dinner. Yep we owe them THAT much. Anyone else owe their parents??? Nope it's probably only us.

Anyway, next time you feel washed up and need a break just step outside and put your bare feet on the ground and "feel" the strength that lies beneath you. it's there, it comes in different forms like parents, sisters, friends, a phone call home, but whatever it is that you need to feel grounded... go get it and take care of yourself.

3 comments:

t said...

i love your blog & since shell has been lax about writing in hers (ahem) i'm glad there is another sister to entertain me!

Shelley said...

WOW! beautifully said. Poetic and true. How lucky are we???

Unknown said...

Love this post. Your thoughts are expressed so beautifully and humorously all at the same time.

And I LOVE the boat pictures.