Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Strawberry fields and fields of children






This morning instead of sipping my coffee concoction ( Ted says I can't even call it coffee because it has more hot chocolate than coffee) and watching the Today show I went strawberry picking with my neighbor. We went about 15 minutes from our house and hit the fields with buckets for the kids and large box/baskets for us. The berry fields were busy with mom's picking for their families and older couples that looked like they might be picking to make jam and to eat. It was so much fun, the kids had no problem filling their baskets and I quickly filled mine and then moved on the help Kate fill her 2 boxes since she will be making jam and feeding her family of 6.
I never knew that New England had so much to offer in the way of fresh fruit. In June we have strawberries July there's  bluberries (which I have all over in the woods in front and behind my house), August yields tons of fresh fat blackberries(which I also have all over in my back woods) and then in September theres always apples and pumpkins. I came home this afternoon and washed them and the kids and I have just been standing over the sink eating them. I have all kinds of plans for these berries... strawberry shortcake, strawberry crepes, etc.
Right after picking berries I took Indy to school and styed and helped out with field day for the entire Kindergarten. The kids moved from game to game in groups of 7 and played all day and ended with watermelon and popcicles . Unfortunately I forgot my camera in my car so I didn't get any pictures of the kids. Yep that's me gettin the super mom award again!
Oh well at least I was there. I know I take a lot of pictures of food but at least you have something pretty to look at while you read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this! LOVE the pictures too!!